85% of Argentine homes have a fixed internet connection and of all these, most are in Buenos aires city and the major city center of the province of Buenos Aires, Mendoza, SantaFe y Córdobaaccording to the biannual survey conducted by the Argentine Internet Chamber (Cabase).
In these states, fiber optics explains 55% of connected homes, a percentage of two years ago was less than 17%, according to the same study – called Internet Index – which assesses the country’s connectivity and infrastructure.
In this case, the president of Cabase, Ariel Graizer pointed out that in the interior of the country in two years the export of fiber optics “doubled”, “especially because of the investment of SMEs and cooperation.”.
He also told that Companies and partners that do not have strong financial support face problems for foreign payments.both for local sites that allow IP addresses and for devices to broadcast transmissions.
“The speed of fixed connections, as well as the penetration of fiber optics into homes, are signs that show us that the country is ready to join the digital economy,” Graizer said in an interview with the press. .
“The speed of fixed connection, as well as the penetration of fiber optics into the home, is the indicator that tells us how ready the country is to participate in the digital economy”Ariel Grazer
He added that “the current data tells us that the two indicators show a positive change, but at the same time they show us that the decision is not good and there is no economic importance copy when deciding on public policies, especially in the last three years, has slowed down the development of connections in the country, which has not grown well with the countries in the region lest.
The study explains that currently, 55% of the country’s homes have fiber optic connections; 22% of cable modems; 12% of wireless; 8% from ADSL technology and 3% using satellite network.
The study explains that currently, 55% of the country’s homes have fiber optic connections; 22% of cable modems; 12% of wireless; 8% from ADSL technology and 3% using satellite network
In terms of speed, 20% of users have a connection of more than 100 megabits per second; 27% of 50 and 100 mbps; 22% between 20 and 50 Mbps; 20% of 6 and 20 Mbps; and 11% with a connection speed of less than 6 MB.
From Cabase they explained that “in the middle of 2015, the fixed broadband market was almost completely covered by the speed of 1 to 6 Mbps”, and “in September 2019, the speed of 6 and 30 Mbps have been in clear growth and they already represent 60. % of the total.
“Access to the Internet around the world is measured by many variables, between the costs of contracting services and what it represents for the income of each household,” they said.
According to Cabase research, In August 2023, the average price that consumers paid for fixed internet service at home was $5,612, an amount that represents around 3% of the average household income across the country.
This percentage of income remains above the Affordability Threshold, at less than 2% of the national monthly income per capita for the year 2025, according to the report report prepared by the UN Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development.
Precisely The cost of accessing high-speed services is the main reason why families who can afford it do not move to a better connection.as research is described in the Internet Index.
“When asked among the study participants the reasons why they do not commit to a faster internet service at home, it was found that 50% do not do so because of the high cost, 25% because they do not use, 13% because. they are not satisfied and, finally, 12% of those surveyed say that their internet provider is not faster, “the data study.
The report also said At home without an internet connection, 77% access the internet through their mobile data or using a Wi-Fi connectionwhile the remaining 23% said they do not use the Internet at home.
Similarly, in families without a fixed connection, 43% indicated that they did not have a connection at home, while 57% had committed to the service and canceled it. 41% of those who canceled the service did so because they could not afford the fee.